More trees die from mistakes made at the time of planting than from any other cause.
Sussex Fruit Trees can plant any tree purchased from our stock, please ask at time of tree ordering. Sussex Fruit Trees can quote to install wire systems for trained fruit trees. Fully Insured.
Stakes, ties, mycorrhiza, rabbit & deer guards, weed control & fertiliser availbale from Sussex Fruit Trees.
Tree Planting Guide
1. Plant bare root tree between November and March, when dormant
2. Plant container or root balled tree all year, best practice in November to March
3. Try and plant on a damp, overcast day with minimal wind, reduces water loss
4. Soak roots for couple of hours before planting
5. Dig hole same day as planting
6. Make hole a bit deeper than the roots and twice as wide as the roots, larger the better
7. If clay soil use a fork to stab the bottom and sides, improves drainage and lets roots establish
8. Place turf upside down in bottom of hole, this provides nutrients for the tree
9. Remove any damaged roots with sharp secateurs
10. Place tree in hole, ensure tree is at correct depth, it must be the same depth as it was in the nursery or container, use a bit of wood across the hole to establish this. The union of the graft must not be underground
11. Place stake vertically on prevailing wind side, if planting bare root
12. Place stake at 45 degrees in to prevailing wind side away from tree roots, if planting pot grown tree
13. Use crowbar to start hole for stake, hammer stake to correct level, about 50cm above soil (depends on rootstock, dwarf rootstock will need a large stake for stability)
14. Tie tree in place loosely, then apply mycorrhiza or fertilizer in bottom of hole, spread roots evenly. Mycorrhiza are beneficial fungi which help trees establish a better root system to absorb water and nutrients. Availble to purchase from Sussex Fruit Trees.
18. Bring soil up to the nursery level
19. Use rubber tie and tie tightly just below top of stake, ensure collar is between trunk and stake
(The tie is low to support roots, trunk should be able to move to improve own strength)
20. Fit rabbit guard if required. A water pipe can be added to enable water to get to roots at time of watering
21. Check frequently that the tie or stake is not damaging tree
22. Label tree